They’re hidden in a tight coat of armour, but when busted out of their outer shell, the juicy seeds of the pomegranate deliver the healthiest nutrients and benefits of any fruit on the planet.
Did you know that the pomegranate, now in season, has one of the most health benefits of any fruit?
As far as fruits go, pomegranates often get overlooked because of their hard outer shell. Even though there are countless videos on how to “tap” those juicy seeds out, many feel that it takes too much time and effort. But guess what, those little juicy jewels are really worth it.
The good news is, you can buy the seeds, or arils as they’re known, already shucked. Each bite unleashes a sweet and tart juice followed by a slight bitter crunch from the small stem inside (also very beneficial). In fact, when studied against other fruit and their juices, pomegranate took the top spot as the best source of antioxidants.
Here are a few facts from studies on why the pomegranate is the healthiest fruit on the planet.
- According to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, which compared 10 different polyphenol-rich beverages, pomegranate juice proved to be healthiest because it contains the most of every type of antioxidant.
- It’s an anti-inflammatory fighter. Once of the biggest causes of disease is said to be inflammation. Test tube studies have shown that it can reduce inflammatory activity in the digestive tract; Lower Blood pressure and help treat arthritis.
- Punicic acid, the main fatty acid in pomegranate, may help protect against several steps in the heart disease process by keeping arteries clear of blockage build-up.
- The arils contain a high potency of vitamin C, which accounts for nearly 40 percent of the daily recommended amount,
- They are high in fibre, which helps to lower blood pressure and satiate hunger due to high levels of fiber.
- Men take note: a study from the University of California, Riverside found components of pomegranate juice may stop prostate cancer cells from moving, while also weakening the chemical signals that promote this kind of cancer to spread in the first place. Prostate cancer patients may also experience lowered levels of a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) when they drink 8 ounces of pomegranate juice each day.
- Drinking a glass of pomegranate juice lowers LDL (bad cholesterol) and raises the HDL (good cholesterol).
- An Israeli study showed that researchers found that pomegranate extract has been shown to inhibit reproduction of breast cancer cells, and may even kill some of them. Research is still ongoing in this area.